Close Menu

Out Of State Accident Lawyer Serving New Jersey & New York

If you were injured in a car accident in another state, or in your own state by an out-of-state driver, the facts surrounding your case can get complicated quickly. The same is true if you were hurt while visiting or working in another state. Likewise, if you were injured in a car accident or experienced some other injury while on vacation in a foreign country, you may have serious concerns about how the laws of your own state and country will apply and how you will be able to protect your rights to receive compensation from the responsible party. Out of state accident lawyer Andrew Jacobs at the Law Offices of Andrew R. Jacobs in New Jersey can help sort out these complicated questions and work to get you the compensation you need and deserve.

Auto and Construction Accidents in New York and New Jersey

As an attorney who is licensed and experienced in both New Jersey and New York courts, Andrew Jacobs understands how the laws of the two neighboring states differ vastly in how they deal with auto accidents, construction worksite accidents, and other areas of personal injury law. For instance, whether you can sue to recover compensation for so-called “non-economic” harm, such as pain and suffering, can be very different in New York than in New Jersey and requires a thorough knowledge of the differences in the motor vehicle insurance laws in the two states. Also, New York imposes absolute liability on property owners and construction contractors for certain construction site accidents, while New Jersey relies on more general principles of negligence. If you are a resident of New Jersey who was injured in an accident in New York, or vice versa, the Law Offices of Andrew R. Jacobs can help you determine which state’s laws apply, where to file your claim, and how you need to prepare your case to meet the applicable laws and court rules.

Nationwide and Beyond

If you were hurt while vacationing in Florida or while traveling cross-country, where the place of the accident is very distant from your home, it is crucial to get the help of an attorney who understands how the laws of different states interact, conform and conflict. If your injury occurred outside the United States, such as on a cruise ship, an international hotel chain with hotels in or that does business in New York, in another country or on an island resort, these issues become even more complicated and more important to resolve. Obtaining justice starts with getting access to the courts, and an attorney like Andrew Jacobs understands the challenges and requirements for establishing jurisdiction in the proper court, preferably in or close to your home state. There may be more than one state or country with jurisdiction over the matter, but an experienced attorney can advise you on the best place to file your lawsuit or resolve your claim, after comparing and contrasting laws on liability, damages, statutes of limitations, and other important legal considerations.

In most traffic accidents, the damages you recover compensation for include property damage to your automobile and damages related to your injury, such as medical expenses, lost income if you missed work or became disabled, pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment in life or diminished quality of life, and so on. If you were injured while on a cruise or vacation to a foreign country, you may have incurred other substantial costs as well, such as the cost of your trip or vacation package, emergency plane flights, and more. These damages or losses you suffered may also be compensable too, so be sure to discuss with your out of state accident lawyer all the ways in which this accident or injury has affected you. Your goal should be to recover compensation for all of the harm you have suffered, so that you are not unfairly forced to bear the burden of financial stresses brought on by another person’s negligence.

Help is available for out-of-state injuries

If you are a resident of New Jersey or New York who was injured in another state or foreign jurisdiction, call the Law Offices of Andrew R. Jacobs at 973-532-9681 for a free consultation to discuss your claim.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Contact Form Tab