Close Menu

Claims for Disfiguring or Scarring Injuries

Scars on face

It can be hard to separate who we are as individuals from what we look like in the mirror. If you’ve been hurt in an accident that has left you with disfiguring injuries or scarring, especially to the face or other visible areas of your body, it can feel as though a stranger is in the mirror looking back at you. You may be entitled to damages for repeated surgeries or treatments, as well as the mental anguish related thereto, caused by your scars and disfigurement. Speak with an attorney about your accident to determine if it may be in your best interests to file a claim for damages.

What are some common ways people incur disfiguring or scarring injuries?

Scarring and disfigurement claims arise frequently from car, truck, and motorcycle accidents. Many opportunities exist within a car accident for disfiguring injury—broken facial bones and cuts from being thrown into glass windows, road rash from being thrown from cars or motorcycles, or burns from heated chemicals or vehicle fires, to name just a few.

Car accidents are a common source of scars and disfigurement, but they are not the only source. Burn injuries resulting from contact with chemicals in the workplace, or from fires on the job or in the home, are also a common source of disfigurement and scarring.

What do I do after I’m hurt?

After an accident, it is extremely important to seek medical attention right away for any disfiguring injuries. Since immediate treatment can often mean the difference between a break or burn healing correctly and healing imperfectly, a defendant in an eventual lawsuit could attempt to reduce the amount of money you’re owed for your injuries if you failed to take the steps your doctor recommended to care for your wounds.

It is also important to obtain an objective opinion of the value of your claims prior to accepting a settlement offer from an insurance company. Individuals who have suffered an amputation, or a serious burn requiring multiple cosmetic or tissue repair surgeries, will need expensive medical care for years to come. The insurance company handling your claim may make you a low offer quickly, getting you cash fast, but failing to pay you everything you’ll eventually need to provide yourself the best chance of a full recovery. Speak with an attorney about your scarring or disfigurement claims to ensure you receive all the money you’re owed.

If you’ve been injured in an accident in New Jersey resulting from another’s negligence, and want help in recovering adequate compensation for those injuries, contact the seasoned personal injury attorney Andrew R. Jacobs for a consultation on your potential claims, at 973-532-9681.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Contact Form Tab